Bulimia Nervosa Treatment
What is Bulimia?
- Bulimia Nervosa is characterised by repeated episodes of binge followed by behaviours that the person believes will compensate for the food they have eaten (for example self-induced vomiting or excessive exercise) – called ‘compensatory behaviours’.
- It occurs in both males and females
- During a binge eating episode, the person will consume a large amount of food in a relatively short period of time.
- They will experience a sense of loss of control and then engage in compensatory behaviours as a result of intense feelings of guilt and shame.
- People with bulimia usually maintain an average (or slightly above or below average) weight, which makes the disorder more difficult to detect compared to the severe weight loss seen in people who have anorexia nervosa.
- People with bulimia nervosa place extreme importance on their body shape and weight in determining their self-worth.
- People with Bulimia often to great lengths to keep their eating and purging behaviours a secret. As a result, the illness can go undetected for a long time and a vicious cycle of shame and guilt is set up.
- Bulimia Nervosa can lead to a range of very serious physical and psychological problems!
- The good news is that Bulimia is very treatable and recovery is possible no matter how long you have been living with the illness.
All of the Clinical Psychologists at Shape Your Mind are experts in the treatment of eating disorders and have extensive experience with inpatient, day patient and outpatient settings. We also work with very experienced dietitians, GPs and psychiatrists, as a team approach tends to give the best possible outcomes.
The cost of individual sessions is $215. With a referral from your GP. Medicare offers a significant rebate for 10 sessions per year.
*Medicare will not offer a rebate for Skype or phone sessions at this stage.
Shape Your Mind offers face-to-face treatment in their Sydney clinic, or via Skype.
For more information or to book an appointment, please give us a call on (02) 9230 0786
To book a consultation please fill out your details below and we will be in touch soon.